My Not-So-Secret Adoration for Tina Fey Continues to Grow ! (Apparently, I have a thing for Greeks)
by Tracy Ryerson
I know I’m more than a little late to the party, but if I could recommend one laugh-out-loud book to you this summer, it would have to be BOSSYPANTS by Tina Fey. Once you get past the awkward cover photo of a pretty Tina Fey donning incredibly hairy and manly arms, you’ll find a sweet spot of comedic brilliance!
I usually can’t read a book cover to cover in one sitting, but this is definitely the exception. I couldn’t put it down! And so what if the font is slightly bigger than most, or the chapters end a quarter of the way down the page….it’s quality over quantity, people!! Tina Fey is a great example of a modern woman (and mom!) making it in a so-called “man’s world”. She pays it forward, works hard, and likes to see other women succeed.
Written less like a memoir, and more like sketch comedy on paper, Tina Fey takes us on a hilarious journey through her life up to 40. She proves that it’s possible for an awkward, but funny Greek girl from Pennsylvania to make it in Hollywood…and/or New York for that matter. She takes us through her childhood, her stint at Second City in Chicago, being the first female head writer at Saturday Night Live, creating 30 Rock, being a Mom, and so much more. She’s driven, tells an honest story, and is an inspiration to many.
You’ll finish this book walking away with a smile and several new nuggets of knowledge. And if you’re reading this on a plane, like I was, your laugh out loud moments will make people think you’re a little crazy.
Here are some things I’ve learned from reading her book:
- She reminds us that you should always lead with a “yes” as you never know what will follow. (Unless, of course, you’re asked to do the 2nd season of the Real L Word)
- Apparently, I’ve also learned that I should never finish Lorne Michael’s sentences. (Keeping a mental note of that one)
- Those glamorous professional photo shoots are not always as glamorous as they seem. (I can attest to this one!)
- Photoshop is our friend. (It is, but I draw the line at turning Carrot Top into Emma Stone)
- Attach Alec Baldwin to everything!! (Seriously, do it.)
- Breast -feeding is not for everybody.
- Her Chapter titled “The Mother’s Prayer for It’s Daughter” is brilliant!
If you like to laugh, read this book! Also, if you like women, babies, Alec Baldwin, Liz Lemon, “Sarah Palin”, and Italian Rum Cake.